Thread: My review of Buzz Feiten and Earvana.

Default My review of Buzz Feiten and Earvana.

Hello all,

I recently tested 3 guitars.

The first was a Fender Strat which had just had the frets dressed and the earvana system installed.

The second was a Washburn that was new with a factory Buzz Feiten system.

And the third was a Carvin that came with a graphite nut.

All guitars had great fret work, which is paramount to any tuning system. If your frets are not level and crowned, no tuning system will work. Finger pressure and fret size also make a world of difference. If you have a heavy hand and tall frets, you may have to make some adjustments if tuning is a problem. These guitars were checked with a peterson tuner.

So here goes,

The strat with the earvana played in tune very well, and was every bit as good as the Buzz system. The only downside(if you can call it that), was the material of the earvana nut. It is not as tone conducive as bone or graphite, but it is not bad either. The plus side to the earvana system is the cost, and it requires no special setup. Just tune it and intonate it like a normal guitar.

So the Earvana gets a 9 out of 10.

The Washburn with the Buzz system was great, and also was very accurate, tuning wise. The only complaints regarding the Buzz System is the price, and the repairman aspect of the deal. Most Feiten guys will want to dress your frets before installing the system, unless your guitar is new. It can be a bit pricey, depending on the shop, and not all Feiten guys are good luthiers. I had a guitar years back that was destroyed by an authorized Buzz Feiten repairman. I got my money back, but the guitar was hopelessly destroyed.

The tuning was consistent over most of the neck, though not perfect. No system can compensate for things like finger pressure, fret height, etc.

The Buzz gets a 8 out of 10, due to the price and unpredictability of guitar repairmen.

And finally, the Carvin with the graphite nut was IMHO superior in the middle and upper registers. Maybe because the Carvin was better built, but to my ears and the tuner, the Carvin was superior on octaves, and triad chords throughout the neck. This is not to say that the Buzz and the earvana were crappy, they were in fact very good. But to me, a well cut nut and good setup are more than enough.

The Carvin gets a 9.5

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by lyoto_machida; 04-27-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Space

Good luck against Rashad Evans....
    "Thanks for the tone advice, but I can't seem to find your band's video to compare to..." - paraphrased Mark from Sam Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlian Minor
    Good luck against Rashad Evans....
    I will wreck him much like I wrecked Tito and Thiago in my last fights!

Interesting. Thanks for that. I wonder how Frank Gambale's compensated frets compare?

I have never heard of Earvana?? I'll have to look it up (terrible name!)

'Charles got Herpes from some girl last week' .... 'Yeah, that's why my Splawn is in a Plexi shell'

My IQ is 144 - I'm an official smart-ass

Custom Tele Customised JS100 Fender Jazz V RH bass American relic strat MIJ 62RI strat Taylor 814CE Paduak 12 string Chapman stick inflatable sex doll imitation wobbly breasts cute rubber fondling ass

Quote Originally Posted by jono
    Interesting. Thanks for that. I wonder how Frank Gambale's compensated frets compare?

I have never heard of Earvana?? I'll have to look it up (terrible name!)
    Earvana is kinda lame sounding for a product name, way to 80ish. ...lol.

But at any rate, look them up. The owner of the company will talk to you directly over the phone, and is a very nice guy(at least he was to me when I called him).

As far as compensated frets like the Gambale ones, and the ones Steve Vai uses, I have not ever played a guitar with this feature. Though I would be very curious to see if it is indeed any better than a standard guitar with a good setup.

ive always wondered how compensated frets would mess with string bending seeing how they are angled and curved.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoLove 34
    ive always wondered how compensated frets would mess with string bending seeing how they are angled and curved.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by lyoto_machida
    As far as compensated frets like the Gambale ones, and the ones Steve Vai uses, I have not ever played a guitar with this feature. Though I would be very curious to see if it is indeed any better than a standard guitar with a good setup.
    This is called True Temperament:
    http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

Miattias IA Eklundh did it to his guitar recently too
    (Musikmesse 2009 photo):

He was demonstrating it actually, when I took this picture
    Practice cures most tone issues - John Suhr
    --
    My Musikmesse 2011 galleries

Actually the ones on Gambale's Yamahas were an in house thing, and they're only on the first few frets.

Quote Originally Posted by bshuker
    Actually the ones on Gambale's Yamahas were an in house thing, and they're only on the first few frets.

The reason it is only on the first couple of frets is because that's where the trouble lies. Most guitars play slightly sharp in the couple of frets. But a well cut nut, and a decent setup remedies most of this. But playing style and touch have a huge impact on it also.